Potager Garden: The secret life of the evening garden

I grow ever more fond of watching night fall in the garden. After the bustle of the day and distant traffic noises, a quietness descends at around 8 o’ clock as the late summer evening draws in.

Although I find the geraniums beautiful in the daytime, they now look so dramatic against a background of shadowy foliage, in the “miniature woodland” area of our tiny potager.

Still catching the last rays of light is this pretty self-seeded wildflower, towering next to the stream, that I believe must be a loosestrife. Living at the top of a hill, it is rare for there not to be a breeze rippling through our garden. I love to watch the constant sway of tall plants on spiked stems and the bees that weave and dart around them.

A light rain starts to fall, however at this time of year I do not have to rush back inside for a coat. It is a delicate, refreshing shower, not a downpour. At the first sign of soothing water, a snail emerges to make the most of it.

Soon after the rain stops it has already faded from the stone walkways, yet remains clinging to the plants. The poppy seed heads, which hover over the stream, bob and dip. The droplets slide down stems, into the running water below.

I slowly walk the paths whilst reading about the life and times of a woodland. I have been enjoying this book little-by-little since New Year’s Day. There is an entry for every date of the year and tonight’s July observation seems very apt.

“How enjoyable the land is, when the sun has sunk below the rim of the known world, when other people have gone to bed, and there are stars over the dark, still oaks.”

“The Wood: The Life and Times of Cockshutt Wood” by JoHn Lewis-stempel

The light dims a little more; I return my book to the kitchen and grab a favourite woollen jumper.

We have lost a few young apples to the rough storms throughout late June, yet the hardier fruits hold fast, looking eminently tempting.

The raindrops stick in place on the water resistant bamboo leaves. I move the plant stem gently; the droplets descend slowly, in an orderly queue.

The bees make their final forage until morning. I took a liking to this little hard worker, heavily laden, pollen stuck to his fur.

The moon is framed by the branches of the silver birch tree. The woollen jumper’s sleeves are perfect for pulling down over my hands as the temperature drops. My husband makes me a cup of hot tea and together we walk the garden and quietly reflect back on our day.

Visit my Little Art Shop: www.tinypotager.shop

Commission Enquiries: tinypotager@hotmail.com

54 Comments Add yours

1. Splendid photographs beautifully described. I’ve never watched a snail laying its trail before.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much Derrick. Weโ€™ve really been enjoying creating the videos – it gives such a different perspective of wildlife to either slow the speed down … or in the case of the snail, speed it up! ๐ŸŒ

Liked by 2 people

2. Gorgeous photography and videography with poetic narrative. Beautiful post.

1. Thank you very much Valerie! ๐ŸŒฟ

3. If I could give you a jewel from the Met in NY – your pick – in exchange for one day and evening and night in your shoes, I would do that, Tiny Potager.

I am so enjoying your posts because they are beautifully photographed and the writing and pace and sensibility recalls to me a part of England which I miss. Thank you! Sarah

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh my goodness, thank you very much, how kind ๐Ÿ™‚ Today was my 100th post – what a wonderful comment to celebrate with ๐ŸŒฟ Iโ€™ve never travelled to the US, but would love to visit and tour there one day!

4. flaxandloom says:

I so enjoyed reading this and the beautiful photography. I felt very calm afterwards. Thank you! x

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ Iโ€™m glad you enjoyed it – Iโ€™ve just been reading your lovely arts and crafts posts over a cuppa ๐Ÿ™‚๐ŸŒฟ

5. Gorgeous! And I think your pretty pink wildflower is willowherb. You may have many many more next year if you let it seed (perhaps a few too many, depending where it is!). Hope you are enjoying your evening cup of tea in the garden as I type.

Liked by 1 person

1. Iโ€™ve compared pics and you are spot on – thank you! Iโ€™m really pleased because Iโ€™ve been trying to find out the name all week. โ€œbritish purple wildflowerโ€ turns out to be a really endless search term ๐Ÿ™ƒ Another thing you are right about – it does pop up everywhere! Happy to report cup of tea is right beside me, as I type โ˜•๏ธ Have a lovely Sunday Janna ๐ŸŒฟ

6. ourcrossings says:

Wow, your photos look absolutely amazing and it always amazes me how much beauty can be found in little things. Thanks for sharing and have a good day ๐Ÿ˜€ Aiva

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Aiva ๐Ÿ™‚ Iโ€™m so glad because I really do agree that a little bit of beauty can be found almost anywhere – hope you have a wonderful weekend ๐ŸŒฟ

7. rozpicsnz says:

Oh the peace from watching the snail – that pace of life would suit me ๐Ÿ™‚ So pleased you get to enjoy some quiet evening moments and detail among the plants. Your garden is helping me get through our constant rainy winter here in Christchurch, NZ. Haven’t been able to get out in mine for weeks.

Liked by 2 people

1. The snail is fast becoming something of a family favourite. He lives under a pot next to the French doors, so we see him come and go.

I know that feeling of heavy rains … that was us back in February – I hope you get some sunshine break through very soon โ˜€๏ธ

8. Kellie says:

Thanks for the peaceful walk, I enjoyed the rain and the snail ๐Ÿ˜Š

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Kellie ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you have a lovely weekend – and I shall pass on about the snail vid to my husband who takes the videos for me ๐ŸŒ

9. tootlepedal says:

Delightful pictures.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Tootlepedal – itโ€™s a bit of a change for me to try night time photography, the light and colours turn out so differently – a lot starker than my usual hazy shots, but I really enjoyed it ๐ŸŒฟ

10. Jo says:

Glorious photos and lyrical words.

1. Thank you Jo! Hope you are having a lovely weekend ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐ŸŒฟ

Liked by 1 person

11. Your descriptions are evocative and atmospheric and transported me right into your beautiful garden. ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. Thatโ€™s wonderful and just as I would want – thank you so much Tanja ๐ŸŒฟ

Liked by 1 person

12. Utterly beautiful, words and images.

1. Thank you so much Laurie โ™ฅ๏ธ

Liked by 1 person

13. Your posts are always so enjoyable, especially on a Sunday night preparing for the week ahead.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you Gerard ๐Ÿ™‚ Weekends are one of my favourite times to write and my little daughter had a nap yesterday afternoon, so I had several hours just writing – bliss ๐ŸŒฟ Hope you have a lovely week

14. Sandra says:

What a joy to discover your blog! Perfect in every way ๐Ÿ˜Š

1. Thank you so much Sandra – Cornwall and books? The feeling is mutual ๐ŸŒฟ x

15. Singh Lovely says:

Well written nice post ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

1. Thank you very much ๐ŸŒฟ

1. Singh Lovely says:

You are welcome ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿค—

16. This is such a wonderful walk in your garden . Amazing photographs , those pearls of beautiful droplets of water ..wowww!

1. Thank you Dee! Everything always look so beautiful after a rain storm ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

17. Lovely photos, and the snail video is amazing!

1. Wendy says:

Lovely, especially like the bumblebee disappearing into the fuchsia.

18. gaiainaction says:

Your photography is exceptionally beautiful with lovely descriptions to match. I well know that time of evening in the garden and the quietness of it, so perfect.

1. Hello there, thank you very much – apologies for the late reply, a lot of my comments went missing and have just reappeared ๐Ÿ™‚ I have subscribed to you lovely website and have really been enjoying it – especially the article: “Remembering” with the stunning macrophotography of the rain drops.

1. gaiainaction says:

What a lovely comment, thank you so much for your encouraging words. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. You are most welcome! x

Liked by 1 person

19. Reading this post and the comments was so refreshing. Your blog’s pace and topics and beauty are just what the world needs right now. As for flowers in the dusk, the ones that stick in my soul are gardenia. They glow in the dark, it’s unearthly, and the scent! No such thing in Wellington, New Zealand though. Whisk me to off to Kyoto or Brisbane, please.

Liked by 1 person

1. Hello Rachel – what a thoughtful and heartening comment to receive, thank you very much. I love gardenia too – and I think I shall definitely plant more white and ivory shrubs in the future, they reflect the moonlight so well. I daydream of Kyoto too โ™ฅ๏ธ๐ŸŒฟ

Liked by 1 person

20. I hope you donโ€™t mind!!! But I have nominated you for the โ€˜Sunshine Blogger Awardโ€™ should you choose to take part? I considered some very interesting questions for you! Please say yes? Looking forward to finding out about you a little bit more! ๐Ÿ˜™

1. Hello! A lot of my comments went AWOL and suddenly they have all appeared and I’m catching up ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you so much for this … can you link me to the questions and I’ll see if I can weave the answers into my articles! Hope you are all doing well x

Liked by 1 person

1. These are a bit of fun arenโ€™t they? I will text you the link, if you choose to accept! I know we are all busy enough!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚ Honestly, it’s just very sweet of you to nominate me and I’m very touched.

Liked by 1 person

1. That is very kind of you to say! Maybe that reflects why you are such a great nominee to consider! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿฅฐ x

21. grant says:

awesome pics and refreshing blog.
    Thank you.
    If you haven’t seen my snail article I encourage you to have a look – not good for the garden but interesting insects. ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. I really enjoyed your snail article Grant – I saw it just today ๐Ÿ™‚ … we let this particular snail off, heโ€™s charmed us somehow!

1. Thank you … I’ll see what I can weave into my posts … I like a challenge ๐Ÿ˜€

1. Very good indeed ๐Ÿ˜Š