Almanac: A journey through the rhododendron labyrinth

Very early on Easter Sunday we visited the Labyrinth at Beacon Hill Country Park in Leicestershire.  At this time of day it was completely empty and we were able to listen to the birdsong all around us.  We also took a video, so that you could travel into the centre of the rhododendron tunnels with us, from wherever you are in the world.

The carvings in the Labyrinth are created at this woodwork hut in the centre of the forest, by a chainsaw-carver-in-residence…

… and the surrounding woodland is dotted with these beautiful wood sculptures.

If you’re watching with children, see if they can spot the crocodile, the teapot, the bridge, a bird flying past and the hidden den in the centre of the labyrinth with little wooden benches.

-Time for home-

Visit my Little Art Shop: www.tinypotager.shop

Commission Enquiries: tinypotager@hotmail.com

35 Comments Add yours

1. samanthamurdochblog says:

Lovely post and what an adventure! Bet it’s pretty when the flowers are out too 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! Yes it looks a lot more beautiful – and a lot less spooky (!) in the summer months 🙂

2. Eddy Winko says:

I couldn’t help but think about The Crystal Maze (Channel four a long time ago) 🙂 Cool video!

1. Thank Eddy – and funny you should say that – we played the Crystal Maze theme whilst our children did their Easter egg hunt this year 😀 (they’re bringing it back to TV this year)

3. Laurie Graves says:

Goodness! Except for the walkway,parts of it looked like you might be walking in Mirkwood. Totally cool!

Liked by 1 person

1. It does! (I read a little bit of Lord of the Rings to our children each day, with a map of the book laid out on the kitchen table… we’re just onto book three)

1. Laurie Graves says:

Quite an adventure! What a cool read aloud. Especially since you live so close to Mirkwood. Watch out for giant spiders!

4. My kind of place… A magical forest. I’d expect elves and dwarves and pixies… 🙂 –Curt

Liked by 1 person

1. 🙂 It’s brilliant fun. We’re off to a place on the Welsh borders called PuzzleWood in the summer, where a lot of the Star Wars forest scenes were filmed, which should look even more otherworldly 🙂

1. They wandered the world for that series! Death Valley and the Redwoods were also used. Enjoy. –Curt

Liked by 1 person

1. Would love to see all those places, and finally travel to America, once the little ones are bigger 🙂

5. Wood So Wild says:

How magical!

Liked by 1 person

6. How lovely that you had it all to yourselves.

1. It’s well worth struggling through an early get up for 🙂

7. Liz says:

For a moment I thought that was a real croc. Thanks for sharing the video!

1. It definitely makes you jump the first time you go through the labyrinth! 🙂

1. Thank you Derrick 🙂

8. Inger says:

A labyrinth of rhododendron sounds pretty amazing:)

Liked by 1 person

9. I used to live very close to Beacon Hill and loved to walk up there to blow away the cobwebs. Happy memories! Good to see they have embraced the rhododendrons in some way – I know they had to clear quite a few as they had been taking over.

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh my photos of Beacon, Outwoods and Bradgate must look very familiar to you! We live nearby too 🙂 You’re right about the rhododendrons, they were taking over the place entirely when I was little, much more sunlight gets through to the forest floor now they have cut them back 🙂

10. Eliza Waters says:

What fun! A bit like the haunted forest. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. You’ve just given me the idea of taking the children through there with lanterns at Halloween … 🙂

11. Keng says:

The rhododendron tunnels look like a scene from horror movies. What a cool place to explore with kids.

Liked by 1 person

1. Our boys absolutely love it. I’m glad there’s only one route around and it’s not a maze … I don’t fancy being lost in there! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

12. Thank you for a strange spring walk. What a brilliant way of turning a Rhododendron (ponticum) wilderness into a fun experience.

Liked by 1 person

1. You’re very welcome 🙂 We’ll have to remember to grab videos more often, it brings a sense of atmosphere that photos often seem to lose.

13. sultanabun says:

looks like a magical place! I’m planning a forest trip tomorrow in search of bluebells. Can’t wait!

1. I hope you found lots of bluebells 🙂 x

Liked by 1 person

14. What an amazing treat!

15. I enjoyed seeing the rhododendrons. I think it’s a bit creepy and spooky in there, but very cool. Here, in Oregon, USA, our rhodies are just in full bloom (Mid May), and although we do have some huge ones in the area, I’ve never seen an entire forest of them.

Liked by 1 person

1. Really glad you enjoyed the post … I was just reading your article on the tulip fields, they look stunning! There’s nothing like that near here, and I always associated tulip farms with Holland, and had no idea they had them in Oregon 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks! If you have interest in gardening, etc., check out my other blog: Beckyathome@wordpress.com

1. I’m signed up as a follower – I love your gardening blog x